Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Pom Pom Conundrum

Yesterday, I headed to Jo-Ann to purchase a pom pom maker.  I settled on one from Clover.  I know there are a slew of instructions to make pom poms on the web, but I figured a ready-made tool would be better.  The resulting pom poms were a bit wonky, so the jury is still out as to whether this was a wise purchase.  At least I was able to use a 50%-off coupon.

Before I used the red and black yarn from my project, I tested out the tool on some worsted cotton.  Here's a tip...don't pull the knot too tightly when using cotton.  The yarn promptly broke off.

Ah well...I pushed forward.  This time I used the yarn needed to complete the project.  I'm still not convinced the knot will hold...but I'm also overly paranoid. 


The shape isn't completely spherical either, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.  For now...I have decided to leave it alone and keep it attached to the project, but I may change my mind in the morning.

I may also try the method of just wrapping the yarn around a piece of cardboard.

I suppose I need to decide soon.  My goal is to give this to the mother-to-be on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment